In today’s review article, we’re going to focus on the Kalisaya KP601 558-Watt portable solar generator.
The review of this smart, little portable solar generator is going to be through and super detailed – as it is our custom and tradition here at best portable solar generators online.
If you’re looking to buy this portable power station but are not sure if it will serve you in the long run – or just want to get its specs/features right before you invest your money, you will certainly love and appreciate this very detailed review.
If you’re ready, we are. Let’s dive straight in by starting with our customary executive review.
- Kalisaya KP601 558-Watt Portable Solar Generator Review: An Executive Summary
- Specs of the Kalisaya KP601 558-Watts Generator
- Features of the Kalisaya KP601 Portable Power Station
- What is this Kalisaya Meant to Power?
- How To Charge the Kalisaya 558-Watt Solar Generator
- What We Love About The Kalisaya KP601
- What We Don’t Like About The Kalisaya KP601
- Kalisaya KP601 Optional Accessories – And Why You Should Consider Them
- Alternatives To The Kalisaya KP601 558-Watt Portable Solar Generator
- Kalisaya KP601 558-Watt Portable Solar Generator Review: Our Personal Take, Bottom Line & Verdict
Kalisaya KP601 558-Watt Portable Solar Generator Review: An Executive Summary
The Kalisaya KP601 is one of the very few solar powered portable generators today that can be powered and operated remotely – via a standard iOS or Android app.
It is also one of the very few solar generators that can be used in a completely waterproof fashion – and can be carried/powered anywhere one finds him/herself without the express challenges of wondering if the device will get wet or wind up damaged as a result.
Further, this Kalisaya 558w power station is also one of the few solar generators that comes standard with (foldable) solar panels – saving you, the end consumer, the stress of having to shop for dedicated solar panels on your own.
If you’re thus looking for a smart, rugged and weatherproof solar generator that also doubles as portable, few options can compete with the unit here. You can thus click here to order directly from Amazon and save your time.
However, if you’re looking for more specs, options, features and importantly, the cons – and pros of this generator, by all means, scroll down and ensure that you read the article to the very end.
If on the other hand, you’ve landed here by chance and are wondering what a portable solar generator is and whether you indeed need one, you need to take a look at this article: 9 reasons why you need a portable solar generator.
Sincerely, we’re delighted that you’re reading our review of this smart solar powerhouse.
Shall we proceed?
Specs of the Kalisaya KP601 558-Watts Generator
The Kalisaya KP601 558-Watts Solar Generator is powered with awesome and clearly impressive specs that makes it an ideal generator choice for campers and the upwardly mobile.
These specifications are:
- 4X USB ports that can charge devices plugged to them simultaneously.
- 38Ah Lithium-ion battery.
- Weight: 14.3lbs (6.48kg).
- Remote system management and control via either the dedicated iOS or Android apps.
- Standard 4x folding 40w solar panels.
- 2x DC ports for lighting.
Let’s now take a close and interested look at the features of this solar unit.
Features of the Kalisaya KP601 Portable Power Station
This is where things get supremely interesting. The Kalisaya KP601 portable solar generator has a tonne of features that are meant to seduce even the most technology resistant folks out there.
Let’s take a quick look:
- Smart energy to weight ratio that is awesome and difficult to beat.
- Overall light weight that is super impressive, given the power it produces.
- Lithium-ion battery technology that offers better energy and delivers better battery life, overall.
- Super portable and waterproof (the waterproof backpack is sold separately).
- Remote system management by way of apps.
- Super portable and easy to carry (either via the traditional handle or through its raincoat backpack straps.
Let’s now take a good look at the gadgets this Kalisaya model is meant to power.
What is this Kalisaya Meant to Power?
The Kalisaya KP601 558 portable solar generator is meant to power a lot of devices and gadgets – given its impressive 38Ah lithium-ion battery.
However, because of the singular fact that the generator has no inbuilt inverter (or express power outlets aside USB – and DC outlets), it only supports units that are primarily USB compliant and importantly, units that rely on DC to power themselves up.
Accordingly, here are the gadgets that can be reliably powered by this generator (without any alteration to the existing configuration by the manufacturer):
- Cell phones (both feature and smart);
- USB powered lights &
If you’re the tech savvy type of user and can play with electronics and generators, you can get the generator to power fans and televisions too – and even pair it to an inverter 🙂
However, be aware of the fact that carrying out such modifications on the generator will void the warranty of the manufacturer and certainly leave you in the cold should you need to claim anything under the standard warranty of the company.
How To Charge the Kalisaya 558-Watt Solar Generator
You cannot reasonably run a review of any hybrid portable solar unit without at least, a passing mention of the various methods the solar generator charges its inbuilt battery when it is depleted (after taking care of the devices that are plugged into it).
This review will thus not make the expensive and thoughtless mistake.
The Kalisaya KP601 recharges its internal lithium ion battery primarily via:
- The 40W (4) solar panel units included in the delivery pack;
- A standard AC/DC wall charger and a
- Car-lighter adapter that works with the 12V cigarette lighter port of any car – irrespective of make, model or year of manufacture.
These 3 recharging accessories: the 40W solar panel, the AC/DC wall charger and the car-lighter adapter all come standard with the unit and are collectively labeled and addressed as the ‘Mini Powerkit’ by Kalisaya, the manufacturer of this generator.
MORE: Kalisaya KP401 Review
What We Love About The Kalisaya KP601
The KP601 is an awesome portable solar generator that is revolutionary, extremely practical and difficult to hate.
However, the following points are some of our strongest reasons for falling – and staying in love with this awesome piece of tech:
- The energy to weight ration of the KP601 is difficult to beat. It is a super light solar generator that weighs only 14lbs and yet, manages to churn out an impressive 558Wh. This is rare and we’re yet to see an option in the market that can beat this.
- The Kalisaya KP601 is extremely lightweight. This makes it the perfect companion on a trip, hike or any place where additional luggage is generally considered a nuisance.
- This generator deploys the use of lithium ion batteries. These batteries are more efficient and practical than their old brothers, the lead acid options.
- The KP601 also sports 4 USB ports. These many ports mean up to four gadgets can be powered at a time without challenges.
- This solar generator also won over our hearts because it comes standard with a foldable solar panel. This is rare – and the fact that the included solar panel is foldable only adds to its overall appeal.
- The KP601 is the only solar generator (we’ve come across) that deploys the use of apps to manage itself. This got us super excited and for many lovers of tech, it is an option that would certainly prove to be the deal closer.
- This Kalisaya model has 3 options of recharging its inbuilt lithium ion battery: solar, AC and the 12V DC adapter for tapping power from the cigarette lighter port of a car.
- Finally, the generator has a raincoat (sold separately) that is waterproof. Though sold separately, this is an option that would surely prove handy for lovers of the outdoors.
Now that we’ve shown you what we love about this generator, let’s now show you the bit that we actually dislike 🙂
What We Don’t Like About The Kalisaya KP601
Despite the fact that we love many of the options of the KP601 and the unit as a whole, there are nevertheless, some options/features/things that we do not like about this portable solar generator.
- The KP601 does not come (standard) with an inverter. This means that, all AC gadgets will have a challenge working with this unit.
- This Kalisaya KP601 does not come with standard plug sockets…only USB ports are provided.
- This solar generator cannot help with the process of jump-starting a vehicle since it is not so configured.
These are the 3 issues that we have against this otherwise solid solar generator.
Kalisaya KP601 Optional Accessories – And Why You Should Consider Them
The KP601 generator comes standard with its adapters for the cigarette lighter port of a car, AC power adapter and a 40W solar panel for charging it via the direct sunlight (when you’re lucky to have sunshine).
However, it is our experience that when bought – and paired along with the devices listed below, it performs better – and preferably.
1. The KaliPAK Weatherproof Raincoat
If you’re going to be using your KP601 in the wild where the weather is uncertain, this is one additional accessory that is worth looking at carefully.
The KaliPAK Weatherproof Raincoat is capable of brilliantly keeping the generator safe – irrespective of the weather conditions. This means, a dry and functional solar generator in rain or sun.
Further, the KaliPAK weatherproof raincoat is manufactured in such a manner that the generator can actually work even when it is enclosed/packed within the raincoat.
The reality of this is that, irrespective of the weather, you can actually get to run your portable generator and importantly, power the gadgets that mean the world to you.
2. KaliPAK 40W 4X Flexbow Solar Panel with Daisy Chain Connector
The Kalisaya KP601 comes standard with its own solar panel – an amazing and extremely efficient 4 pieces 40W foldable solar panel.
However, during dull weather or poor sunlight, only one of such power solar panel proves inefficient in charging this unit – especially if you have to keep many gadgets on and up.
Enter the KaliPAK 40W 4X Flexbow Solar Panel with Daisy Chain Connector. This attachment has the power to direct its combined 80W of trapped solar energy to the KP601 – ensuring a faster and more efficient solar charge.
This accessory, you should note, is compatible with the KaliPAK 401 & 601 only.
3. The MiniPAK Waterproof 10.4Ah Powerbank
Sometimes, in the wild, strange things can happen. One of such strange things is the complete failure of a portable solar generator or its inability to meet the express requirement of your load.
In such an instance, a portable backup solution such as the MiniPAK Waterproof 10.4-Ah Powerbank comes handy.
This Powerbank offers a 10,400Mah battery capacity in a rugged, compact design and features a USB (2.1a) and a micro-USB port for maximum compatibility.
It is also waterproof, shockproof and dustproof (Ip66). The MiniPAK can also be conveniently stored in a KaliPAK storage bin, and effectively charged from the KaliPAK ultra-fast USB ports.
Alternatives To The Kalisaya KP601 558-Watt Portable Solar Generator
No matter how excellent a portable solar generator is, it will always have its shortcomings, shortcomings that to the average user, are enough to look for an alternative in another option/product.
For the Kalisaya KP601, these shortcomings are:
- Lack of a dedicated AC inverter.
- Absence of traditional socket outlets &
- The inability of the model to jumpstart a weak/dead car battery.
If you’re concerned about these shortcomings and would love to take a look at an alternative (or group of alternatives), you’re welcomed to take a look at a number of the KP601’s alternatives.
We’re certain that from the list of 5 other (equally) smart and (properly) equipped solar generators, you’ll find the option that will both suit your needs and amaze you to no end.
Best of luck 🙂
Kalisaya KP601 558-Watt Portable Solar Generator Review: Our Personal Take, Bottom Line & Verdict
The KP601 is an awesome portable solar generator, no doubt. That it is also engineered with a lot of forethought and common sense is also common knowledge. However, no matter how good (or bad) a product is, the final judge is usually the market.
We thus take our stand…
Our Personal Take
This solar generator is an awesome option is you’re looking to power cameras, tablets and cellphones in the wild and do not appreciate any bulk. However, if you desire to power laptops, televisions and other AC gadgets, this generator is a no-no! Instead, take a look at other alternatives such as the Yeti 400 or the Suaoki 220Wh solar generator.
This Kalisaya solar generator will serve well for what it was intended for: light DC load. However, when things get heavy or you’re looking at AC inspired load, then, you’ve got to take your business elsewhere.
If you’re looking for a lightweight solar generator to charge your phones, tablets and cameras and are concerned about the energy to weight ratio, you’re not going to get any better option – especially if managing your generator via an app appears to be an awesome idea to you.
However, if your needs are much more than that, you should be looking at an alternative as already indicated and treated above.